Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Rich Reviews: Gotham (First Episode)



I should start by saying that I am obsessed with Batman.  I've read a ton of the comic books (or graphic novels, because I'm an adult), I actually like all of the movies (well the Clooney one was a piece of trash but I still found some enjoyment in it.)  The video games are some of the best ever and how about the cartoon growing up?

I still find myself more a fan of Marvel Comics (X-Men, Fantastic 4, Avengers, Iron Man, Daredevil, Spider-Man, etc., etc.) compared to DC (Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman... Aquaman?).  But Batman, and his cast of villains, is my favorite.  The comic books graphic novels are off the charts good.  It's not just Batman, but the characters and the setting that make it great.  Gotham City is the best location in either comic universe and the Batman supporting cast is unbeatable.

So, Fox released Gotham on Monday night.  The show is NOT about Batman, instead the origin of some of the notable characters.  Yes Bruce Wayne is in it, but the show begins with the infamous moment of his parents, Thomas & Martha, being gunned down in an alley during a mugging.

If this show lasts long enough maybe we will see Batman, but that's not the selling point here.  Jim Gordon is the main character, his early days on the GCPD.  We also see young villains in their infancy stages and roles within Gotham.

One criticism that is fair, is it seems like they are trying to shoehorn classic characters into the story.  Without giving anything away, there is at least one character in episode one that seems really forced.  Maybe they go somewhere with it, we'll see.

There are so many stories already written, the writers of the show need to pick and choose and create their own without getting buried and confusing the viewer.  I just hope they don't feel the need to throw villain after villain after villain and try to tie them all in together at such young ages.   To be fair, if they did not include any of the classic enemies I'd be saying, "Hey, where are the bad guys I know?"

The first episode showed a lot of promise.  The acting is good.  There was action, and they didn't drag their feet in setting up the plot for the season.

I'm in.  Of course it would have to be AWFUL for me not to be.


GOTHAM - Mondays on Fox


No comments: