Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A couple things to get off my chest...

I'll post my updated UFC rankings sometime this week, but before I do that, I have to rant on a few things.

Now I have to warn you, none of which I am about to rant about is sports-related, but it all happened en route to a sporting event (Celtics game v. the Bobcats) last Friday night. So I'll make an exception.

This is a classic "Grind my gears" session ala Peter Griffin. So to get things started properly, without further ado:

Ya know what really grinds my gears?

For anyone that has ever lived in a city or at least taken public transit, you know how frustrating the T, or subway train, can be. Not only are they undersized and not roomy enough with sufficient seating, but the drivers constantly pump the brake. So as I stood on the train the other night holding on for dear life, a top 10 pet peeve of mine occurred. The train was packed as it usually is after work and particularly before a Celtics/Bruins game on a train heading into North Station. Mind you, I'm holding onto a pole while standing in the middle of the train car. As we approach a stop still traveling at full speed, the driver comes over the loudspeaker and announces, "...approaching Haymaaahhket, train doors open on the right."

Well, some d-bag promptly rose from his seat and tried to get by me. Again, the train was still moving at full speed. Eventually, he forced me to remove my hand from the pole so he could get by and position himself directly in front of the door. Again, the train is still moving at full speed at this point. Naturally, this called for the driver to pump the brake. Terrific. Had it not been for my go-go gadget arm of sorts, I would have landed in the lap of some hobo who probably spent the entire day camped outside Dunkin Donuts until he'd "earned" enough to get a train ride to the liquor store.

Listen, a piece of advice for anyone riding the train or bus anywhere. If you've gotta get off, you'll have plenty of time. You're not the only one, so don't think the driver is going to assume due to 3 seconds of inactivity that no one is getting off and will shut the door on you. Not only are you one of many getting off, but people are getting on, too. So stay in your freakin' seat and wait till the train stops. You're only inconveniencing everyone else around you and like I said, had it not been for a magical extension of my arm, I may have wiped out.

Ya know what else really grinds my gears?

When you're waiting for a cab and someone just walks right up and stands to the left of you. Anyone with half a brain can do the logical breakdown and realize that when hailing a cab, traffic will be heading from left to right. The other night I had been trying to hail a cab for at least 10 minutes. Not only someone walk right up and stand on my left, but it was a chick, and she was hot.

How do you combat that?

Cab drivers will stop for a hot chick any day of the week. And it's harder for me to get pissed at someone if she's goddess-like. I let out the it's loud enough for you to hear but you probably won't really hear nor give a crap if you do verbal complaint by voicing, "Are you f*cking kidding me with that as a cab pulled up and practically opened the door for her.

Unbelievable. If you see someone standing on a sidewalk blatantly hailing a cab, feel free to stand on their right and wait for the next one after them. Just because there isn't formal line doesn't mean you can't form one. And if you're going to do it, be a guy so I have a reason to yell at you and possibly fight you.

Finally, there's one last thing that really grinds my gears.

Cab drivers with Blackberry's. What's the reasoning? Got some important e-mails you need to keep up on while driving customers? Unless cab stands are sending out alerts for drivers via e-mail, there's no logical reason for a cab driver to have a better phone than I do.

In more pleasant news, the Celtics held off a pesky Bobcat squad for a 108-100 win. Thanks to Celtic Steve for the tickets. If you're looking for a new kitchen or bath in your home, call him at Kitchens and Bath. How's that for a shameless plug?

-Bess

No comments: