Thursday, November 26, 2009

Quick thoughts on the Red Sox possibly trading for Halladay

I'm hearing that the package includes Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard and Casey Kelly. I can certainly deal with sending Buchholz. I think he'll be a very good major league pitcher, but to me he's still unproven at the Major League level. I said to my buddy Kevin last night that last year in the ALDS, Buchholz didn't start a game. In fact if they went to Game 4, it's not a given he would have gotten the ball. But if the Sox had Halladay, where would he have fallen into their plans? Well, he would've started Game 1. Over Lester, over Beckett. Enough said on that front.

With Bard, I'm okay sending him as long as Theo has a plan for Papelbon. If they are going to give him the big dollars he wants, make the deal. He's a top-3 closer in baseball. I have Rivera and Joe Nathan giving him a run for his money. Or if they foresee another free agent closer they'll pursue given Papelbon leaves, then that's okay.

But what I'm not okay with is dealing Casey Kelly. I don't care about how good he is as a baseball player. Look at the kid's girlfriend. Absolute smokeshow. How can you send her to Toronto like that? It's ludicrous. Take a look and judge for yourself. If I'm Theo Epstein, I'm telling the Blue Jays to either find another top prospect or I force Kelly to break up with her and then sign the chick to a lifetime contract as a player wife.





What do you think?

-Bess

No comments: