Friday, December 10, 2010

UFC 124 Tomorrow Night


UFC 124 takes place in Montreal, Canada on Saturday night. The main event is a re-match as Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre puts his title on the line against Josh Koscheck. These two 170 pound fighters were the latest coaches on The Ultimate Fighter.

GSP always sells PPV's and is one of the very best draws in all of MMA. But this is as close to a boxing card as I have seen from the UFC in a long time. When I say boxing card, I mean there is one fight you want to watch and you spend all your money on just the one match. Case in point, I could not find a UFC 124 poster advertising the event that even mentions a second bout on the card. Pretty surprising. Usually they have pictures of the co-main event and even the third bout, but at the very least the names of the fighters are featured. Not this time.

The co-main event is Sean McCorkle vs. Stefan Struve. Weak. I am interested in another fight on this card, it's a welterweight match between former #1 contender Thiago Alves and Dorchester's own John "Doomsday" Howard. Alves always struggles to make weight, so this is a huge fight for him, they're both coming off losses as well. I'll be pulling for Howard.

As underwhelming as this card looks on paper, it is often the events you are not thrilled with going in that provide the most exciting fights. So we shall see.

Predictions: I don't see GSP losing, but can he finish Kos? I say another decision for St. Pierre. I really like Howard, but if Alves is in shape, Thiago will be too tough.


-Keefe

No comments: