Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Rich Reviews: X-Men: Days of Future Past


X-Men: Days of Future Past is the 7th film in the X-Men series following X-Men (2000), X2 (2003), X-Men: The Last Stand (2006), X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009), X-Men: First-Class (2011), and The Wolverine (2013).

I've seen them all.  If they make 7 more, I'll see those too.  So, granted, I am partial to the X-Men.  But here are my thoughts on the latest from this great comic book movie franchise.

X-Men + Inception + The Terminator = X-Men: Days of Future Past

And I didn't even really like Inception.  But in this case, time travel was in place of dream travel to change the future.  This movie is all about time.  Just read the title out loud and try to figure it out without ending up in a mental pretzel.

The gist of the plot is the X-Men are in the future fighting Sentinels who are destroying mutants and the world.  They need to send someone back to the past in order to prevent these bad boys from being developed, thus changing how things shake up.  Terminator, Inception, etc., etc.

They've combined actors/characters from the original trilogy with actors/characters from the prequel and tried to make sense of it all.  Because of the number of characters and storylines some of it had to be left out.  But I found it hard to complain about too much.  Sure there are some plot holes and questions left unanswered, but the movie had a strong story, action, and everything else you look for in a comic book film, including some solid cameos.

The truth is, X-Men: The Last Stand was a mess, and they tried/needed to clean it up.  A lot of what you had here was dealing with that film and some of the hangups in this one are due to that one.  Make sense?

Bottom line, I enjoyed the hell out of it.  Very entertaining.  It has me thinking back to all the previous X-Men movies (sure some plot holes annoy me, but not enough to ruin it).  I liked it a lot more than Last Stand and both Wolverine films.  The other three movies were all great, and after just one viewing of Days of Future Past, this one is right up there.

I need to talk to someone who has seen ALL of these movies, and I need that right now.  Oh, like all Marvel movies, stay through the end credits for a little sneak peak.

Final Rating: 9/10

CLICK HERE FOR THE KEEFER MADNESS X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST REVIEW

No comments: