Friday, November 7, 2008

The Sports Brief's Week 10 NFL picks

Last night I went to Conor Larkin's on the campus of Northeastern to watch the first NFL start for Brady Quinn. I had a vested interest in the game because I managed to snatch Quinn in a couple fantasy leagues off the free agent list. But I also faced a dilemma. Start him? Or sit him?

I had him in fourleagues, three of which I had Romo as my starter (out) and Pennington as my number two guy. The Dolphins are at Seattle this week, and the Seahawks have been dishing out serious frequent flier miles to opposing offenses. Looking back, I think they've allowed over 300 yards in the air in the last 5 or 6 games. I felt compelled to start him over Quinn in those leagues. Rosenfels was my backup (to Romo) in another league, so I started Quinn there. My keeper league on Fanball.com (worst site, by the way) was a big question mark, as well. I had been rolling with Matt Schaub and Big Ben, but both got banged up last week, Schaub worse than Ben. I dropped Big Ben in hopes that Schaub could return later this year and picked up Quinn and Pennington. This is a touchdown league, and my contention was that Quinn would be efficient but Jamal Lewis, whom I also had, would run it in from a few yards out a couple times. So I went with Pennington.

Let's just say I wish I started both Quinn and Lewis; thankfully I rolled with Lewis though. Meanwhile, karma sure was a bitch last night. I was facing Eddie Royal in my fanball league but had him going in a yahoo league. When he got stuffed at the 1-yd line, I couldn't contain the excitement. As I said to Milano, I don't care if Royal goes 10 for 150 tonight, just don't score.

A 93 yard slant route later, it was a bittersweet moment.

How about Jay Cutler? I'm up against him in our NFL.com league this week and he shoved 35 points down my throat. Terrific. I have Drew Brees going, hopefully he can match that.

Anyway, onto the picks. Keefe and I still aren't picking well enough to warrant any explanation. But we'd love to hear your thoughts on the upcoming games and how you think some of them will play out.

Keefe’s picks:
Last week: 6-8; Overall: 60-70

Browns -3.5 over Broncos (definitely didn’t cheat on this one)
Falcons -.5 over Saints
Titans -3 over Bears
Lions +6.5 over Jaguars
Seahawks +9.5 over Dolphins
Packers +2.5 over Vikings
Patriots -3.5 over Bills
Jets -8.5 over Rams
Texans -1.5 over Ravens
Panthers -9.5 over Raiders
Steelers -3.5 over Colts
Chiefs +15.5 over Chargers
Giants +2.5 over Eagles
Cardinals -9.5 over 49ers

Besse’s picks:
Last week: 8-6; Overall: 68-62

Browns -3.5 over Broncos
Saints +0.5 over Falcons
Bears +3 over Titans
Lions +6.5 over Jaguars
Dolphins -9.5 over Seahawks
Packers +2.5 over Vikings
Patriots -3.5 over Bills
Rams +8.5 over Jets
Texans -1.5 over Ravens
Panthers -9.5 over Raiders
Colts +3.5 over Steelers
Chiefs +15.5 over Chargers
Giants +2.5 over Eagles
Cardinals -9.5 over 49ers

Random Rob’s picks:
Last week: 7-7; Overall: 74-56

Browns
Saints
Bears
Jaguars
Seahawks
Packers
Pats
Rams
Texans
Panthers
Colts
Chargers
Giants
49ers

Don't forget Calzaghe v. Jones tomorrow night for the light heavyweight championship of the world. And a week from tomorrow, Brock Lesnar challenges Randy Couture for the UFC heavyweight title. Should be a hell of a fight.

-Bess

No comments: