Thursday, January 29, 2009

My life of unemployment

So I got laid off last week. Last Tuesday actually. Right after Barack O'Bama was inaugurated as the 44th President of the United States. Right after he spoke about "hope". And "change". And "creating more jobs for Americans". Right after I got back from DSW and spending $120 on two pairs of new shoes, one of which was for an interview I had scheduled with another company the following day. Oh the irony.

But alas, I have already developed a solid daily routine. I wake up by 8am, sometimes earlier if I bring my brother to school. At 8am I begin switching between FoxNews and The Today Show. At 9am it's Regis and Kelly, then back to the Today Show at 10am. Finally, at 11am, it's PIR. Nothing else. No excuses. Easily it's the greatest show on television whether you hate Drew Carey or not. At this point, I don't even care. I love the games, bidding on prizes and the idiots they allow on television.

Which is why I'm blogging right now. This morning there's a woman named "Claire" in the far right position on bidder's row. Through the first two bids, she made two of the biggest blunders I've ever seen. EVER. First up for bid was a tailgating set by Coleman. It was a full set, with a couple grills, several pieces of equipment, the whole nine yards. Claire was last to bid, and the highest bid at that point was $850. Apparently Claire felt the tailgating set cost more than $850, a point which I whole-heartedly agree with. However, instead of just bidding $851 and giving her a victory with any price over that amount, she went ahead and bid $1975. Drew looked at her with this incredulous look, then said, "You went with the year I graduated high school. Best of luck to you." Claire must know something we don't. Or she doesn't know anything at all. Turns out it was the latter. Actual retail price was $900 and Claire did not win.

Second item up for bid was an elliptical. The two highests bids prior to Claire's bid were $850 (again, please note) and $2200. Now, unless that elliptical comes with a big screen TV, personal service and massage therapy, that thing is not more than $2200. And the massive gap between $850 and $2200 would have been much too enticing for me not to bid $851. Instead, Claire took the over and went $2201. She didn't win.

For the third bid, Claire was bidding on a steamer and seemed to have her wits about her, bidding $850 (the irony of this number is incredible). The last bidder went with $851 (poor Claire) and won, considering the steamer was $2200. I can't believe a freakin steamer costs $2200. That thing better make my stuff looks like it's fresh out of an Asian dry cleaner.

As I was typing this, we just saw a tremendous duel in the showcase showdown spinning the wheel. A man and woman both spun $.90 so they went to OT. In the first OT, the guy went first and rolled a dismal $.15. You can't get much worse. There are only 3 numbers she can spin that will keep him alive, it's a gimme. Fortunately for him the woman had enough in her to spin the wheel around EXACTLY two times and land on $.15. So we went to double OT. He spun $.40 and she blew him out of the water with $.80 for a thrilling victory.

Claire just lost again. I'm resigned to the fact that she's the dumbest contestant in the history of PIR and will not be leaving bidder's row today.

For those of you fantasy football lovers, my dad sent me this video today. My jaw was hanging the entire time. I have trouble believing any of these actually happened and that it's merely a product of computer engineering. Either that or they shot these clips all day. No way they did any of these in one try. The margin for error is too small. But what troubles me most is the player roster for this...

Chris Cooley
Jason Campbell
Marques Colston (The best of the bunch)
Chris Chambers (a flop every year, not even the best WR on his team)
Marc Bulger (seriously?)
Mason Crosby (not bad, but he's a kicker)
Laurence Maroney (maybe this is why he is always injured...he's doing stupid stunts like this. Although it was pretty incredible.)

Regardless, I'm already pumped for next year's Fantasy Football season. Enjoy.



Which one is your favorite?

-Bess

No comments: