Saturday, September 10, 2016

WWE Backlash Predictions


With Fall comes change, and for the first time in about 5 years we will be tuning in to a Smackdown exclusive pay per view. Admittedly, I was very disappointed in Smackdown on Draft Day. I thought guys like Cesaro and Sami Zayn needed to be on the Blue Brand in order to truly showcase their talents (even now on Raw they haven't gotten much in terms of opportunities). But Smackdown has actually really impressed me on TV since the draft and I think that Backlash will be a great start for the brand exclusive PPVs.
I've never been one to brag on this platform. I'm as humble as it gets for a former $WWE shareholder who made a nearly 25% profit, a BJ's Club Member, and a WWE blogger with a .672 winning percentage at pay-per-views. So this brand split won't affect me in the slightest. I'm just gunna keep chugging along blogging my ass of TWICE a month now to bring you the most accurate sports entertainment predictions in the world.

Let's look at the card.

Pre-Show

As far as I know, there are no matches on any type of pre-show which is nice.

Main Card

The Usos vs. The Hype Bros -- Smackdown Tag Team Championship Tournament Semi-Final

After The Usos (finally) turned heel, they decided to attack the clear favorites in the tournament and injure Chad Gable's knee. Scumbags. But I'm totally ok with that because to be honest, I think Slater and Rhyno are more over than American Alpha are at this time.. don't @ me. But now picking these matches has become more fun because how could anyone NOT pick American Alpha?
Anyways, now that they're out of the finals we have to have another semi-final match featuring the two teams that were eliminated in said round.. seems a bit unfair to potentially reward The Usos after what they did, but hey, it's the WWE.
I would love to pick Mojo and Ryder but I have to use my brain here. The Usos lurk at the top of the tag team scene at all times so they're gunna win this match to stay in their spot. Perhaps another post match beat down will happen too to keep this means streak alive.

Prediction: The Usos


The Miz (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler -- Intercontinental Championship

I love Mike Mizanin and I don't care who knows. I watched him on The Real World and remember his debut winning streak back when I was in 5th grade like it was yesterday, but he's currently putting in some of his greatest work and I don't want it to stop.
The narrative for this match has been that Miz isn't a deserving champion. In Dolph's last feud he was out to prove that he belongs, and despite losing, I think he did that. So now it's The Miz's turn to prove himself. If anything, he deserves the win on his mic work alone and I'm hoping that Dolph's knack for losing big matches shows on Sunday too because there is no reason to take the belt off of The Miz and his hot wife.

Prediction: The Miz


Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt

God. Fucking. Dammit. 
For just once in my life I want this Bray Wyatt, The Eater of Worlds, to get into a program where he truly establishes himself as the face of fear. I mean seriously, will there ever be a time where Bray just goes on a winning streak to truly take The Undertaker's spot? Whatever.
Randy Orton is coming off of getting his skull bashed in by Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam and I don't think he can afford a loss here unless the whole point of this is that Orton is losing it, but I don't think so. And WWE has already shown that they don't think Bray needs wins to stay on top, which at this point is sad but true. So I'd expect a nice bounce back win for Randy Orton, maybe with a Sister Abigail reversed into an RKO, but both guys will come out of this looking good.

Prediction: Randy Orton


The Usos vs. Rhyno & Heath Slater -- Smackdown Tag Team Championship Tournament Final

Assuming my pick is correct this is what we're looking at for a final. Who saw it coming? I want Slater and Rhyno to win so fucking bad and I've almost convinced myself that they will. And seriously, why not do it? What else will come out of this? Slater and Rhyno have a miscommunication to cost them the match and break up leading to a feud? Who actually wants to watch that? Or will they stay together and chase the belts? I feel like the randomness of their partnership could grow stale. There is such a small window for these two guys, and even if it's a short run, think about how great it could be!
But then reality has to set in.
American Alpha has a bone to pick with The Usos after what they did, and these two aren't going to feud unless the belt is on the line and Gable won't be out for long. The Usos' mean streak will continue and they will serve as a heel team for all of these face tag teams to chase.
So Sadly..

Prediction: The Usos


Nikki Bella vs. Becky Lynch vs. Natalya vs. Naomi vs. Carmella vs. Alexa Bliss -- Six Pack Challenge -- Smackdown Women's Championship

Before I dive into this, let's just knock Carmella and Alexa Bliss out of the running to win this match. Neither of them have even had a PPV singles match before and to imagine them as champs is hilarious. So let's continue.
Natalya has been on an incredibly boring heel run and I don't see her being a champ any time soon, if ever, and Naomi is great but hasn't shown that she's ready to be a champ.
Basically what I'm saying is that this is between Nikki Bella and Becky Lynch and it could easily go either way.
Becky Lynch has been such an underdog since she's come up and it's only a matter of time before she has some gold around her waist. But now she's going toe to toe with one of the best women in the company in Nikki Bella who is finally back after her neck injury and looked DOMINANT in her return at SummerSlam. 
I think Becky will have a near fall that get's the crowd going, but in the end, it'll be Nikki Bella pinning one of the other wrestlers with her modified Rack Attack/AA hybrid.

Prediction: Nikki Bella


Dean Ambrose (c) vs AJ Styles -- WWE World Championship

Don't do it. Please don't make me say it. Seriously.
I have been so underwhelmed by Dean Ambrose's championship run. His mic work has been solid, but have you noticed that his matches are just the same shit over and over again? 
I mean, he doesn't have that outstanding of a move-set and his matches are pretty cookie cutter, but I'm still a Dean guy, it's just time to move on.
I don't have much to write about the match itself honestly. AJ Styles has been a hilarious obnoxious heel and is more than deserving of a title run. Let's just shake things up with the brand split, eh?

Prediction: AJ Styles

You know where to find me..

Little Besse xoxo


No comments: