Monday, November 8, 2010

The Grim Reaper visits Colts' Austin Collie

Living out in San Francisco we got to watch the Chiefs at Raiders game on CBS while the east coast watched the Colts at Eagles. So at some point in the afternoon my buddy Kevin texted me and said Austin Collie might be dead. I immediately went to Youtube and it was already up. I swear the hit had just happened and I had just gotten a text and some guy had it posted to his account. The internet is a magical thing.

Anyway, this is an ugly scene:



The hit itself wasn't all that bad in terms of how vicious it was, the end result certainly is tough to watch. Collie was out on his feet, mummified and stretched cold ala Jahvid Best.



But what bothers me the most about the Collie incident is how classless the Eagles' players and fans were during the whole thing. The refs called unsportsmanlike conduct for an illegal helmet to helmet hit. Sure, it's debatable. Collie turned into the defender, so you can argue the call. But regardless, Collie is practically dead, questionably paralyzed on the field and Asante Samuel is dancing around protesting the call like an asshole while the bans boo the refs. Give me a break. Let's have some silence for the poor guy.

Anyway, later in the evening the Cowboys' Roy Williams took a mean hit from Nick Collins in the NBC game. I actually think this hit was worse than Collie's, but Williams was actually able to get up under his own power. Collins will be paying a hefty fine this week for sure...



-Bess

No comments: