Sunday, May 1, 2016

Some Food For Thought Before Vince McMahon Makes His Decision


Earlier this week, Stephanie McMahon returned to Raw and demanded her full control back. This left Vince McMahon in a tough spot. I mean, the on air product has been significantly more fun to watch with Shane at the helm, but the disowned McMahon lost his match at WrestleMania and was supposed to leave immediately. Following the agreement made going into Mania, this should still be Stephanie's show.
For those of you who read my Payback Preview, you'd see that I made the bold prediction of a brand split where both of Vince's children would be given control of one of the two weekly shows (Raw and Smackdown). And while that logistically makes sense -- especially with Smackdown's move to USA and the company wanting it to be considered as more than their B show -- it does seem a little far fetched.
I do think that a brand split much like the company did post Attitude Era would draw more of a crowd to Smackdown, but the only issue would be the title situation. We no longer have two main titles (WWE and World Heavyweight) and we also only have one set of tag team championship belts as well. This would cause some confusion as to which brand carries which belts and would also disrupt the flow of what's going on in the company right now. Looking at all of this really got me thinking.
This morning, my guy Zach texted me about Payback and brought up Vince's decision, saying that he thinks there will be a huge swerve. So we started brainstorming some possibilities and came up with what seems like a pretty logical decision for Vince to make.

Don't Give Control to Either of His Children.

As fun as Raw as been with Shane in charge, the McMahon family angle has gotten really stale. We no longer have the Steve Austin Attitude Era type storylines that have me begging for more McMahon on TV. Instead, we're basically just watching a family whose relationship is in shambles try to hash things out on national television. Everyone is sick of The Authority being in charge, and from everything I've read, I just don't see how Shane-O-Mac can be staying on TV for the long haul. So why not use this as the perfect opportunity to get both of them off of TV and move on?

I'm 20 years old, so my prime of WWE fandom came during the WWE brand split where guys like Teddy Long and Eric Bischoff ran the show as active GMs always looking to arrange the best fights and create the best cards every night. So why not bring that back?

The one name that really comes to mind for me would be William Regal, who is the acting GM down at NXT, and with all of these recent NXT call ups while they bring in the new class of wrestlers down there, why not also give him the "promotion"? He's well respected within the company and by fans and can act arbitrarily while serving as the GM.

Obviously, there are so many different ways in which this situation can play out. Maybe my bold prediction will be right. Maybe this new thought will be the one. Or knowing the McMahon's, both Stephanie and Shane will have to pick a superstar to represent them at the next PPV and the winner of that will gain control and we'll all be blessed with at least a few more weeks of McMahon Family drama.

All I know is that Vince and the WWE have done a great job at making this one hard to predict and I am legitimately excited to hear this decision.

That's all I've got on this. I have a good feeling about tonight's show.

Little Besse

No comments: