Monday, October 26, 2009

Let's hear it for Brazil!

The 2016 Summer Olympics, Pele, the Brazilian Women's soccer team, so why not add 2 of the very best in the world of mixed martial arts. Saturday night in Los Angeles the undefeated Lyoto Machida put his UFC Light Heavyweight Championship belt on the line against the 18-3 and former Pride Grand Prix Champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. I was going to bet on Shogun and his +375 line, however I am at odds with my previously bet taking website, so decided to not wager on the fight.

I am glad that I didn't, because I would have lost my mind, in addition to $25-$50 bucks. (I'm not going to bet the house on an underdog, no matter how good the feeling, just can't do it.) Shogun lost the fight to Machida by unanimous decision 48-47 on all the judges scorecards.
I felt that Shogun definitely won 2 rounds, Machida definitely won 1 run with 2 being toss ups, apparently those 2 went to the defending champ. It looks as though we could see an automatic rematch between these two Brazilian fighters, and that makes sense on a bunch of levels. Rampage Jackson appears to still be retired (the next best 205 pound fighter in the world), and middleweight champ Anderson Silva, who embarrassed former champ Forrest Griffin has said he would not fight his friend and training partner Machida.


Who else is deserving of a shot? Rashad Evans? Not right now he's not. Wanderlei Silva? Nope. Keith Jardine? No thanks, and on down the line. Because it was such a close decision, I love the idea of Machida vs. Shogun II.

In addition to Brazil, let's hear it for Tristan Besse who went 9-2 on his UFC 104 picks including a perfect 5-0 on the main card. Certainly better than BJal's Lock du Jour and Keefe's Pick 3.

-Keefe


*Keefe's 2009-2010 NBA Preview Coming Soon...

1 comment:

James said...

Here's a place where you could stay in Argentina that would give you the comfort that you want and wouldn't cost you that much.


Hostels in Salta