Sunday, October 4, 2009

Jimmy the Greek's Week 4 NFL picks

Last week was a banner week for the Greek. Not only did I go 13-3 against the spread, but I correctly picked 15 of 16 winners in the Pigskin Pick'em on wgamradio.com and s-t.com. With that success, I won a $50 gift card to Sky Lounge from the boys at WGAM and a $10 gift card to Dunkin Donuts and 2 free passes to Monster Mini-golf from The Standard Times (s-t.com and my hometown paper). Needless to say, I was a happy prognosticator come Tuesday morning.

This week seems a bit tricky, and to be honest, I feel like I could go 14-0 just as easily as going 0-14. Let's hold our collective breaths...

Colts (-6.5) over Seahawks
Despite the coaching changes, injury to Gonzalez and departure of Marvin Harrison, Peyton Manning is showing why he's a 3-time MVP. This guy could throw for 4,000 yards and 35 TD's if Besse and Keefe were flanked out wide. Seattle is decimated by injuries (again), particularly on defense. See ya later.

Bengals (-5.5) over Browns
I love this Bengals team. Chad OchoCinco is one of the great personalities of the NFL, and he seems rejuvenated and ready to lead this team to the playoffs with a healthy Carson Palmer. The Browns may not win a game in 2009, so who's to think the Bengals can't cover a measily 5.5?

Pats (-2.5) over Ravens
In Week 2, Phillip Rivers threw for over 400 yards against this Ravens secondary. I think Tom Brady comes close to that. This Ravens team is good, don't get me wrong, but they've played the Browns, Chiefs and Chargers. San Diego is the best of that weak bunch, and it took a Ray Lewis miracle stop on 4th down to do it. My buddy Kevin told me he saw an interview with Lewis where he said he wasn't supposed to blitz there...he saw them run that play in film study and just jumped it. That's brilliant, and so is Lewis.

Lions (+10.5) over Bears
I think the Bears win this, but the 10.5 scares me because it has 27-17 written all over it. The Lions will score, but so will da Bears. Forte should get it going and Cutler is finding his rhythm. I like the Lions to cover though.

Texans (-9.5) over Raiders
If Jamarcus Russell of today went back in time and played Notre Dame in the 2006 Sugar Bowl, would LSU still win that game? I honestly don't think so. Look for the Texans to light up the scoreboard, and Steve Slaton to finally find paydirt.

Giants (-9.5) over Chiefs
This could get really, really ugly. The Chiefs suck, plain and simple.

Titans (-2.5) over Jaguars
The Titans run defense should bend but not break against an elite back like MJD3, and I think the same will go for the secondary. The difference will be the Titans offense. The Jaguars D is just as bad, if not worse, and I expect Tennessee to finally hit the win column. This has been a brutal schedule thus far, but a solid showing against a good Jets team means they're turning the corner.

Redskins (-6.5) over Bucs
Tampa Bay has a new head coach, who went and fired his O-coordinator 2 weeks before the season, then benched his quarterback for a guy who races on the NASCAR circuit. I don't who they're playing or how many points they're getting. No thanks.

Jets (+6.5) over Saints
Saints win, Jets cover in an awesome to watch shoot out.

Bills (-2.5) over Dolphins
If Pennington was the QB, I take the Dolphins. But I don't know much about Chad Henne as an NFL quarterback. Which sucks, because after watching Pierre Thomas light up the Bills defense last week, I would love to bank on Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. I think they both perform well, but Buffalo should at least cover.

Rams (+9.5) over 49ers
I think we see a slight letdown from last week's shocking, last second loss to the Vikings for Mike Singletary's club. I think San Francisco will either survive a scare or lose outright, especially with Frank Gore still ailing and out for today's game.

Broncos (+3.5) over Cowboys
A true test to gauge where both teams are at. The potent Cowboys offense against a Broncos D that has been solid so far, but perhaps overachieving? And on the flip side, Kyle Orton has yet to turn the ball over. But Dallas played well last week against Carolina, finally getting its first sack. Is it finding its rhythm on D?

Chargers (+6.5) over Steelers
Ugh, this has trap game written all over it. SD getting these points seems too easy. What do they know that we don't? I'm going to be a sucker and take the points. Pitt's D is still suspect and the offense will be slowed without Willie Parker.

Packers (+3.5) over Vikings
I'm sick of Brett Favre and his antics, and the fact that the media continue to stroke his ego. I'll be rooting for Aaron Rodgers all night long.

Last week: 13-3
Overall: 30-18

Tarrific Tara's picks:

Colts
Browns
Patriots
Da Bears
Texans
Giants
Titans
Redskins
Jets
Dolphins
Rams
Cowboys
Steelers
Vikings

Last week: 11-5
Overall: 18-14

Enjoy the games.

-Greek

No comments: