Thursday, October 1, 2009

NHL Preview (sort of)


I am going to try and follow hockey a little more closely this year. It was never my favorite sport, but from 1994-2004 I would have categorized myself as a fan. Then two things happened. A strike prevented play in the 2004-2005 season, and then the very next year the Boston Bruins traded Joe Thornton. He became the only player in the history of sports to be traded during the season and win the MVP. Think about that for a second. You made it out of that still a Bruins fan, god bless you.

I already liked the NBA, NFL, MLB, and college football and basketball more, so when you combine a missed season with trading away an MVP then forget it. Throw in the fact that they didn't re-sign my favorite Bruin ever, Bill Guerin after a 40+ goal season, and I had enough.

But even with all of that, I will always have NHL 95 for SEGA. No matter what happens that game remains on of the best games of all time. Not just a sports game, not just a SEGA game, but one of the best video games of all time. (5 Best SEGA games = NHL 95, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat, Sonic, ToeJam & Earl)

The Bruins open up the 2009-2010 season tonight, and I'm going to go back to a time when I enjoyed hockey the most, 1994-1995. Here are my predictions for that season... you know if The Sports Brief existed 14-15 years ago.

Prince of Wales Trophy: Boston Bruins

Clarence S Campbell Bowl: Detroit Red Wings

Stanley Cup: Boston Bruins

Individual Trophies:
Hart (MVP): Cam Neely, Bruins
Lady Byng (sportsmanship): Wayne Gretzky, Kings
Vezina (goalie): Ed Belfour, Blackhawks
Ross (points): Jeremy Roenick, Blackhawks
Norris (defense): Ray Bourque, Bruins
Conn Smythe (playoffs MVP): Adam Oates, Bruins
Selke (D-forward): Ron Francis, Penguins


All-Star 1st Team:
G- Ed Belfour, Blackhaws
D- Ray Bourque, Bruins
D- Paul Coffey, Red Wings
LW- Brendan Shanahan, Red Wings
C- Jeremy Roenick, Blackhawks
RW- Cam Neely

All-Star 2nd Team:
G- Martin Broduer, Devils
D- Chris Chelios, Blackhawks
D- Brian Leetch, Rangers
LW- John LeClair, Flyers
C- Joe Sakic, Nordiques
RW- Brett Hull, Blues


-Keefe

As for my pick 3, since I'm doing terrible, not explanations this week, just the picks.

Bengals (-6) over Browns
Giants (-9) over Chiefs
Bears (-10) over Lions

Last week: 1-2
Overall: 2-4